Carson Kressley visits Philly fashion students
PHILADELPHIA - March 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Carson Kressley is a television star; celebrity stylist, author and fashion designer, and he shared his knowledge of the fashion world with students in Philadelphia Thursday.
Carson Kressley shared his secrets to success and shared his fashion experiences with a full house of fashion students at Philadelphia University Thursday afternoon.
The students were eager to hear him speak and more eager to show him their designs.
Emmy Award-winning fashion celebrity and Allentown's own Carson Kressley checked out some of the student's hand crafted and hand fashioned creations.
"They can design their own fabrics here and their own buttons and loom their own designs and create their own prints and learn how to market it," said Carson. "I might steal some of their ideas as well; just kidding!"
He also gave some budding young designers and their portfolios a little one-on-one time.
"Wow these are great, and are they computer generated at all? All hand. Unbelievable!" Carson encouragement was well received.
"I am so grateful for that opportunity to speak with Carson because he has such a prominence on the fashion scene," said senior Brittany West.
And to get his advice and his approval was a really big self esteem boost.
He shared his secret to success.
"Sometimes you have to push yourself and do something completely crazy to realize that you can do anything," says Carson; a fear he faced on the dance floor.
"Now I can be like, oh you want me to land the space shuttle? No problem! I did dancing with the stars," said Carson.
Speaking of which, the fashionisto broke out his playbook of this week's new season debut.
When asked who were his favorites out of the gate? "Probably Jaleel and Kim; love Kim. They were fantastic. I think Gladys Knight was unbelievable. She's 67!" Carson said.
While he is back home in the Philadelphia area, Kressley does what he calls "market research".
"I usually go to the King of Prussia Mall - hello! It's like retail Shangri la. I can spend days in there," said Carson.
And he says he always makes time to watch a little news.
"I'm from Allentown, so I always watch Channel 6 for the news and everything," said Carson.
His major point of advice to the students was to be authentic; always be yourself.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state, alicia vitarelli
- 3 children rescued from Southest Phila. house fire 26 min ago
- Windy And Cool 44 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philadephia man arrested for firing shots at police 18 min ago
- Fire forces evacuation of N. Phila. high-rise apt. 22 min ago
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend 58 min ago
- Windy And Cool
44 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos