Suspects rob couple of $30K in Oxford Circle home invasion
OXFORD CIRCLE - March 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are investigating a home invasion and robbery in the city's Oxford Circle section.
Philadelphia police say at 7:12 p.m. the 42-year-old male victim was entering his home on the 1400 block of McKinley Street through an alley when a half dozen masked men ambushed him, pistol whipped him, and forced him into the house.
Once inside, they stole $30,000 in cash and a 9mm handgun.
Late tonight, the victim could be seen through a window holding what appears to be a bag of ice to his head.
The victim's 41-year-old wife was also in the home, but uninjured.
Neighbors gave their reaction to the incident to Action News Sunday night.
"Me and my family are pretty shook up; my grandkids are here. Wow. Wow," neighbor Troy Lumb said.
"I have heard of things happening, but I haven't heard of a home invasion," neighbor Crystal Murray said.
Investigators say the Asian homeowner owns a small business and it appears he was targeted.
In the past, Asian business owners have suffered similar home invasions because there is a perception they're reluctant to use banks and may have large sums of cash.
"They are new to the block, maybe a year or two at the most, don't know them," Lumb said.
The home has a surveillance camera system on its exterior.
Police are reviewing it, but so far video has not been released.
Detectives believe the suspects may have fled in a white van.
"This happened in the middle of the day, so that's a little surprising, but nothing surprises me in any neighborhood," Murray said.
Police say there is a bit of a language barrier they are dealing with right now.
They are still piecing this crime together.
The victim, who suffered the head injury, was treated on site by paramedics.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, oxford circle, home invasion, robbery, local/state
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes 25 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents 24 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living 23 min ago
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt 30 min ago
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery 26 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 18 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 16 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
20 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire...
25 min ago
- Rescuers airlift horse out of Angeles...
14 min ago