Suspects rob couple of $30K in Oxford Circle home invasion
OXFORD CIRCLE - March 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are investigating a home invasion and robbery in the city's Oxford Circle section.
Philadelphia police say at 7:12 p.m. the 42-year-old male victim was entering his home on the 1400 block of McKinley Street through an alley when a half dozen masked men ambushed him, pistol whipped him, and forced him into the house.
Once inside, they stole $30,000 in cash and a 9mm handgun.
Late tonight, the victim could be seen through a window holding what appears to be a bag of ice to his head.
The victim's 41-year-old wife was also in the home, but uninjured.
Neighbors gave their reaction to the incident to Action News Sunday night.
"Me and my family are pretty shook up; my grandkids are here. Wow. Wow," neighbor Troy Lumb said.
"I have heard of things happening, but I haven't heard of a home invasion," neighbor Crystal Murray said.
Investigators say the Asian homeowner owns a small business and it appears he was targeted.
In the past, Asian business owners have suffered similar home invasions because there is a perception they're reluctant to use banks and may have large sums of cash.
"They are new to the block, maybe a year or two at the most, don't know them," Lumb said.
The home has a surveillance camera system on its exterior.
Police are reviewing it, but so far video has not been released.
Detectives believe the suspects may have fled in a white van.
"This happened in the middle of the day, so that's a little surprising, but nothing surprises me in any neighborhood," Murray said.
Police say there is a bit of a language barrier they are dealing with right now.
They are still piecing this crime together.
The victim, who suffered the head injury, was treated on site by paramedics.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, oxford circle, home invasion, robbery, local/state
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Mostly cloudy, humid today 26 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion
- Victim ID'd in Deptford Township arson
- Penn State penalities from Sandusky case argued
- Housekeeper sentenced for Ben Franklin bust theft
- $1 million Powerball ticket sold in North Wales, Pa.
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Sea Lion Worried About Little Girl
- Mostly cloudy, humid today
26 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos