James Lee Troutman pleads guilty to rape, slaying of girl
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - March 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- A suburban Philadelphia man who raped a young neighbor girl, then brutally killed her in the basement of their apartment complex, will spend the rest of his life in prison under the terms of a plea deal approved by a judge Monday.
The agreement enables James Lee Troutman to avoid the death penalty for the strangling and attack on Skyler Kauffman at the apartment complex in Souderton, where a previous encounter between them prompted a call to the police.
Troutman pleaded guilty Monday to first-degree murder and related charges. He admitted he raped Kauffman, then choked her and slammed her head against the basement floor repeatedly before dumping her body in a commercial trash bin May 9.
That was a few weeks after Kauffman's mother called police to complain about Troutman because she was suspicious about the circumstances surrounding a meeting her daughter and another girl had with Kauffman, in which they said they were locked in his bathroom.
Authorities said at the time there was no evidence a crime had been committed.
Defense attorney Craig Penglase said his client had wanted to plead guilty all along, but he was trying to avoid the death penalty.
"I applaud the DA's office for their decision to make that possible," Penglase told the Bucks County Courier Times. "Without their proper use of discretion to take death off the table, this plea wouldn't have happened and all parties would have had to go through a trial."
Investigators questioned Troutman in Kauffman's death after noticing blood on his sneakers, and he eventually confessed, police said.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, homicide, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 20 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 27 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
51 min ago