Bus brawl caught on tape
READING, Pa. - March 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Video has surfaced of a brawl on a crowded school bus transporting students to a school from North Coventry Township to Reading.
Parent Chris Hinkle admits he was getting tired of his son complaining.
"[My son woud say] 'Aw, the bus is overcrowded, it's too full, there's fights,' I never really believed him," Chris Hinkle said.
So, last Wednesday 16-year-old Xavier Rhodes-Hinkle turned on his cell phone video camera and captured an all-out brawl during the bus ride back to Reading from Delaware Valley High School in North Coventry Township.
"He showed me; I was like 'wow!'" Chris Hinkle said.
Xavier says the bus rides to and from class have grown increasingly hostile as more kids from Reading High have been transferred to Delaware Valley High School, which is described on its website as an alternative school for students with motivational or behavioral issues.
"Other kids started coming in and coming in and it kept on getting packed and packed to the point you were squished together, you couldn't move," Xavier said.
Pennsylvania's school bus safety code states that standing inside a moving bus is strictly prohibited, and once every seat is filled no more students are allowed onboard.
Xavier says not only did the bus driver allow the students to ride packed-in and standing in the aisle. he left it up to them to break up the fight as well.
"Everything took place while the bus was moving; the bus driver did not pull, over not once, He said 'stop' once in awhile, but that's not really going to do nothing," Xavier said.
Now, Chris Hinkle says his son is not allowed to take the bus until the school provides a second bus or a shuttle.
"Just because they go to an alternative school, doesn't mean they have to be treated like they're less important than any other student," Chris Hinkle said.
Reading School District officials directed our calls to Delaware Valley High School.
Shortly after arriving, a man quickly kicked Action News off the high school property.
fight, reading, berks county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book