Yet another tire slashing in Mayfair
MAYFAIR - March 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating yet another incident of tire slashings on a block in Mayfair plagued by vandals.
The latest incident was discovered shortly after 8:00 a.m. Tuesday on the 4000 block of Aldine Street.
A $7,500 reward is already being offered for information leading to the arrest of the vandals who are targeting cars in Mayfair. The Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police is offering a $5,000 reward and Mayor Michael Nutter is contributing an additional $2,500 to the reward fund.
Since November of 2011 dozens of vehicles on neighboring streets have been vandalized. The 4000 block of Aldine Street alone has had over 40 incidents of vandalized vehicles. Some of the victims have had their cars hit multiple times, resulting in hundreds of dollars in expenses.
In response, police have boosted their patrols and the town watch recruited more members. Members of the Mayfair and Tacony-Holmesburg Town Watch groups have been patrolling the neighborhoods for several weeks urging people to be on the lookout for the Northeast tire slashers.
Investigators believe the same people are responsible for all the tire slashing incidents due to the distinctive thin slice on the tires. The slice is thin enough to appear to have been done with a razor blade, but due to the steel wiring walls in tires and the amount of pressure needed to puncture, it is unlikely a razor blade was used. Therefore, police think the doers are using a specific knife in these acts of vandalism.
If you'd like to join the town watch effort, contact Mayfair email@example.com or on their Facebook page: Mayfair Town Watch
To collect the reward you can submit your tip anonymously to police by calling 215-686-3153.
mayfair, northeast philadelphia, philadelphia, vandalism, local/state
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Video: Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash