Scholarship program helps even more students
PHILADELPHIA - March 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Children's Scholarship Fund typically awards 500 to 700 scholarships annually, but this year, the number will be 2,000.
Isabella Gonzalez has just learned that her 8-year-old daughter will receive a four-year scholarship to a private or parochial school.
It's a tremendous relief to both because bullying has made Arielle miserable in her current learning environment.
"I look forward to having new friends and not being bullied anymore," Arielle said.
Next fall, Arielle's mother wants her to attend St. Francis De Sales School nearby.
The Children's Scholarship Fund gives as many as three children per family an average $1,400 per year to the kindergarten through 8th grade school of their choice.
All parents selected are required to pay $500 toward tuition, each of the 4 years.
"I will do anything and everything that I have to do to come up with the funds and to meet whatever criteria I have to," Isabella said.
The families are chosen by lottery and they're notified by phone that they've been selected.
Anthony Samuel's mother was chosen to receive a CSF scholarship for him ten years ago.
"When the Children's Scholarship Fund came through, it was like a burden lifted from her shoulders; she literally felt like she hit the lottery," scholarship recipient Anthony Samuel said. "I was very fortunate to have a mother who put my education first."
Anthony went to Abington Friends School and is now a sophomore at Temple University.
"I'm actually taking up accounting and I'm doing well," Anthony said.
More than 200 private and parochial schools, with more than 10,000 empty seats, participate in the Children's Scholarship Fund Philadelphia.
It also designs programs for the families to help them as their children move on to high school and college.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 19 min ago
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 41 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 11 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 38 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
19 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
11 min ago