SUV slams into N. Philly bus stop; 1 hurt
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - March 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- A woman has been injured by an out of control SUV that careened onto a North Philadelphia sidewalk.
The incident happened around 11:00 a.m. Wednesday at the intersection of at Germantown and Lehigh Avenues.
According to Philadelphia police, the KIA SUV was traveling westbound on Lehigh Avenue when the driver lost control, went over the curb, hit a parking meter and then slammed into a SEPTA bus vestibule. Glass shattered everywhere and those waiting for the bus were sent ducking for cover.
One woman was injured. Action News is told she is going to be OK, but is suffering from some leg and back pain. It is unclear if she was actually hit by the vehicle or if she was injured while fleeing.
The victim was taken to Temple University Hospital for treatment.
The driver of the vehicle was taken into custody. He is expected to be charged with DUI. It appears he was on drugs because police found a syringe in the vehicle and a bag of some sort of substance - police believe it to be heroin.
north philadelphia, philadelphia, DUI, illegal drugs, accident, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot while sleeping in South Philadelphia 2 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 1 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
8 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos