Surveillance released in Oxford Circle home invasion
OXFORD CIRCLE - March 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have released surveillance video in the hopes that someone will recognize the suspects in an Oxford Circle home invasion.
The surveillance video is chilling.
The couple returns home Sunday evening and are immediately surrounded by 6 or 7 young men, several of them pointing guns.
Police believe they were targeted because the robbers knew they would be coming home from their business with cash.
"They're coming back from their business and they get ambushed like that and overtaken by six or seven people, it's a definite ambush," Philadelphia Police Sgt. Dennis Rosenbaum said.
They march the man into the house, but his wife is on the ground between cars.
They struggle with her, apparently emptying her pocketbook.
They then force her on her hands and knees to crawl to the door with a gun held to the back of her head.
A neighbor says the attackers had been waiting inside a fenced in enclosure next door.
He saw the purse in the driveway and went to investigate.
"I heard a lot of noise inside the house. I rang the bell. With that, they come down the stairs, knock me over, ran between my girlfriend and the car and the fence, and took off towards Large Street," the neighbor said.
He says the robbers were dropping money all the way as they ran.
He called the police and gathered up $1,000 that had been scattered through the alley.
While the robbers were inside the house, they pistol whipped the husband.
The victims eventually handed over $30,000 worth of cash and jewelry.
Their neighbor says they had been robbed several times before.
Now, he says, they won't be back.
"It was a shame. [The wife] was in bad shape. They came here last night, picked up some goods, and they won't return, [the husband] told me," the neighbor said.
Police are hoping someone recognizes the thieves, even though they had their faces covered.
They're also looking for a white Chevy van that may have been the getaway vehicle.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, oxford circle, home invasion, robbery, local/state, david henry
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 2 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer 5 min ago
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days 1 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
1 min ago