Man struck by car, killed during Philly rap video shoot
OLNEY - March 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating the death of a man during the filming of an amateur rap video in the Olney section of Philadelphia.
The rap video was being recorded near the security cameras of a restaurant, which apparently captured the violent and deadly incident.
Investigators say more than 100 people were gathered at 5th Street and Tabor Road around 7:00 p.m. when someone fired the shots.
"The scene initially was very hectic. Once shots were fired, you've got a crowd of a 100 people., they flee in every direction," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.
In the melee, a car accidentally ran over the head of a 33-year-old man who had fallen. He was transported to Albert Einstein Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
The Medical Examiner ruled Friday that the victim was not shot but died from injuries sustained during the crash.
Shirley Baker was shutting her store down for the night and was nearby when the violence erupted.
"I was letting the gate down I heard shots then I just ran to my car because I didn't know which way they were coming from," she said.
While cowering by her vehicle, Baker saw police chasing multiple suspects.
Three men with guns were taken into custody. Authorities are awaiting ballistics testing on their weapons.
It will be up to police and the District Attorney's office to determine whether murder charges will be filed.
Authorities say they will continue to look through surveillance video as they continue to investigate the incident.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, olney, shooting, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed