The tradition continues at Shane Confectionery
OLD CITY - March 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- If you're one of those people who miss the good old days, you can do more than relive them. You can taste them this Easter season right in Old City Philadelphia.
Shane Confectionery is open at 110 Market Street, a candy store for more than a century.
The Shane family operated it for three generations...99 years in all. They sold the business to Eric and Ryan Berley, owners of the Franklin Fountain right up the street.
The deal included all the old family candy recipes and the family still gives the Berley brothers pointers...things like how many Easter eggs to make.
The deal included all the old family candy recipes and the family still gives the Berley brothers pointers on things like how many Easter eggs to make.
While most stores simply phone a wholesaler and order candy, the Berleys and their candy making team still use antique equipment and make seasonal favorites from scratch, from premium ingredients, in small batches.
There's no room on the premises to make chocolate from cocoa beans, but it comes in fresh from Wilbur Chocolate in nearby Lancaster County. Milk is bought directly from local farms.
When possible, fresh fruit is used instead of flavorings.
The Berleys also bought clear sugar-candy molds from another legendary candy family, the Youngs of Brewerytown, when their store closed several years ago.
They cast clear sugar bunnies and baskets this time of year, and a range of toy figures around Christmas. But the showpiece at Easter is the hand-rolled egg made of coconut butter cream and coated with chocolate.
The eggs at Shane's are also artfully hand-decorated. If you prefer smaller tastes, there are other "eggs" the size of chocolate-coated candy...your choice.
Hollow bunnies are molded in three flavors - dark, milk and white chocolate. She's is open daily near front and market so you can get your Easter candy "fix" even at the last minute.
For more information, phone them at 215-922-1048, or go online to Shane Candies. There you can also sign up for their monthly newsletter.
old city, local/state
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila. 5 min ago
- Winter Warm Up 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 38 min ago
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco 49 min ago
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor 28 min ago
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
30 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg...
28 min ago
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
25 min ago
- Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
20 min ago