Girl, 11, killed in South Philadelphia DUI crash ID'd
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - March 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have charged a Florida man in a deadly crash at a South Philadelphia market that killed an 11-year-old girl Sunday afternoon.
The driver has been identified as 28-year-old Maximiliano Alejandro Drosi of Miami, Florida. Drosi has been charged with homicide by vehicle while DUI and other related charges.
The victim has been identified as Samantha Nguyen-Ortanez of Sicklerville.
The accident happened at 12:30 p.m. at Washington Avenue and 8th Street.
Police say Drosi was driving a silver Chevrolet Impala on Washington when he ran a red light at 8th Street. The Impala then rammed into an SUV that was going south on 8th.
The SUV, police say, then ran up onto the sidewalk at Captain Jesse G., Inc. landmark seafood and produce complex.
Police say Nguyen-Ortanez was coming out of the store with family and friends when she was pinned to the wall by the out of control SUV.
She was pronounced dead at the scene.
"Family was enjoying a Sunday afternoon shopping and they lost a young lady as a result of someone's negligence," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Joe Sullivan said.
The SUV also struck the mother of the deceased child, another mother and her 3-year-old, and a store employee. They were taken to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in stable condition.
The 48-year-old female driver of the SUV was taken to Hahnemann Hospital in stable condition.
Police say Drosi, while intoxicated driving a rental car, admitted he was also distracted by a GPS.
"[This is] why we stressed so often to people, it doesn't matter what kind of electronic device you're on, pull over, while you're on it. This is an indication of what can be the tragic result of not following the law," Sullivan said.
Drosi is expected to face homicide by vehicle charges, as well.
Jesse Giordano, the owner of the business, narrowly escaped injury himself.
He was outside and saw the tragedy develop.
"One minute you're doing business, the next minute - it's insane," Giordano said.
philadelphia, accident, DUI, local/state
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead 13 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Local help on the way for tornado victims 12 min ago
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help 11 min ago
- Street-level interactive weather map
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 11 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- SUV crashes when dog gets stuck in steering wheel
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids 48 min ago
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead
13 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos