South Jersey man pleads guilty in child's death
CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE, N.J. - March 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- A southern New Jersey man has admitted shoving a 3-year-old's head against a refrigerator, causing the boy's skull to fracture.
Charles Kane pleaded guilty to aggravated manslaughter in the 2010 death of Elijah Ulbrich. The 37-year-old will face 15 years in prison when he's sentenced in May instead of 30 had he been convicted of murder.
The plea came during a pretrial hearing on Tuesday.
Cape May County prosecutors said the boy's mother had left her child with the Lower Township resident while she ran some errands.
Kane told the court he was upset that the boy had wet his pants and he pushed the child against the refrigerator door.
Outside of court, the child's parents told The Press of Atlantic City the 15-year sentence wasn't long enough.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City
new jersey, cape may county, homicide, child death, local/state
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 22 min ago
- Breezy And Mild! 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 17 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment 58 min ago
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion 25 min ago
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Breezy And Mild!
1 min ago
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
22 min ago
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
17 min ago
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp....
25 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos