Mega Millions jackpot hits $500 million
March 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's almost unimaginable. No one picked the six correct numbers in last night's multi-state Mega Millions lottery game, sending the jackpot to $500 million for the Friday drawing.
That's a new record. The cash option is worth $359 million.
The drawing can be seen LIVE at 11:00 p.m. Friday on 6abc.
As word of the biggest jackpot in history spread, players headed to buy tickets at lottery agents like Robert Lewis News on State Street in Trenton.
"We're going to win it!" said Barbara Carter of New Egypt, New Jersey. "I could pay off my mortgage!"
"Whole lot and it's enough to take care of most of my problems in life," said Jim Rimalover. "And a lot of other people's problems, too."
Last night's jackpot was $363 million, fed by weeks of drawings without a top winner. The previous top jackpot in the Mega Millions game was $390 million in 2007, split by two winners in New Jersey and Georgia.
In last night's game, 47 players came very close, matching 5 of the 6 winning numbers. Each of those tickets is worth at least $250,000 dollars.
Mega Millions is played in more than 40 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
The winning numbers last night were: 9, 19, 34, 44 and 51. The Mega Ball was 24.
Your chances of winning this giant jackpot are about 1 in 176 million.
Online: Mega Millions website
lottery, mega millions, local/state
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash 16 min ago
- Temps Soar 32 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 19 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student 34 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 36 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 26 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
32 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle...
16 min ago