Marine from NJ killed in Afghanistan
WALDWICK, N.J. - March 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Relatives of a New Jersey Marine killed in Afghanistan will travel to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware Thursday to bring his body home.
Family members say Staff Sgt. Joseph D'Augustine died in the Sangin district of Helmand province. The Defense Department has not announced the death.
The 29-year-old was assigned to an explosive ordnance disposal unit and was on his second tour of duty in Afghanistan.
A sister, Michele Kulesa of Mahwah, tells The Record newspaper her brother was due to come home in 15 days to attend the May wedding of another sister.
D'Augustine graduated from Waldwick High School in 2001. He wrestled and played football in high school.
new jersey, military, marine corps, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ