Mega Millions jackpot hits $540 million
March 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- The record-breaking Mega Millions jackpot has risen again ahead of Friday's drawing. The jackpot is now an estimated $540 million.
The cash-only option is now $389 million.
The drawing can be seen LIVE at 11:00 p.m. Friday on 6abc.
Tuesday night's jackpot was $363 million, fed by weeks of drawings without a top winner. The previous record jackpot in the Mega Millions game was $390 million in 2007, split by two winners in New Jersey and Georgia.
In Tuesday night's game, 47 players came very close, matching 5 of the 6 winning numbers. Each of those tickets is worth at least $250,000.
Mega Millions is played in more than 40 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Lottery officials had placed the odds of winning Mega Millions at 1 in 176 million.
So what if you do beat those odds?
Experts say you'll want a team of financial advisors, including a tax expert. Then, keep a low profile or risk getting inundated by friends and relatives you didn't know you had. And don't go on a spending spree. Most winners spend all their money within five years.
The winning numbers Tuesday night were: 9, 19, 34, 44 and 51. The Mega Ball was 24.
The retailer who sells the winning ticket will receive a maximum $1 million bonus. ----------
Online: Mega Millions website
lottery, mega millions, local/state
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 13 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students 42 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Car, SUV collide outside Trenton firehouse
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed