Man arrested for gun at Philadelphia International Airport released
WEST PHILADELPHIA - March 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say a Chester County man attempted to bring a loaded gun onto a flight at Philadelphia International Airport.
Security personnel stopped 42-year-old Matthew Kesner of Phoenixville at a TSA checkpoint at 7:00 p.m. Thursday. Officials say he was planning to fly to South Carolina.
Authorities found a loaded handgun in his carry on bag as he tried to go through the checkpoint.
Kesner was detained and questioned for hours. He was finally released after being charged with a summary offense of disorderly conduct.
Kesner told Action News he simply forgot the licensed gun was in his bag.
"I have a license to carry a gun and unfortunately I forgot that I had a gun in the bag I was carrying with me," he said.
This is the second security scare at the airport in less than 24 hours. Hours earlier police caught a man from the Wilkes-Barre area with powerful explosives in his backpack.
29-year-old Joseph Picklo tried to board a flight to San Francisco when TSA agents stopped him.
Agents say he was carrying commercial grade M-80's and a plastic bottle with two powdery substances and a wick.
Picklo claimed he forgot the materials were in his backpack.
His lawyer argued his client should be freed on bail. The government disagrees, saying it needs more time to investigate.
They sent the powder found in Picklo's bag to be tested at an ATF lab in Maryland.
The charge of trying to bring an explosive onto an airplane could land him in prison for 10 years.
Many people are asking why Kesner was released and Picklo was detained after similar excuses.
Investigators say they found Kesner's story more plausible.
A lot of questions still remain in Picklo's case. He's slated to be back in court on Tuesday.
guns, philadelphia international airport, pennsylvania, local/state
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Wet to Wintry
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Arrest in theft of Porsche part from Walker crash