Allentown woman makes a living swallowing swords
ALLENTOWN, Pa. - March 31, 2012 (WPVI) -- One thing they don't teach you in college is sword swallowing, or fire eating or any of that dangerous stuff.
But Action News reporter Walter Perez found a young Allentown woman who can do both.
Her name is Riley Schillaci, and she is among the only professional female sword swallowers in the world.
As you would imagine, one of the first questions we asked was how does a young lady get into sword swallowing?
"I had someone in my family who used to swallow knives and forks at dinner. So I started training myself at 14, and eventually after college, I moved up to an actual sword," said Riley.
And the 28 year old from Allentown says once she realized she could guide a 19 inch sword down her esophagus without lacerating a major organ, she decided it sure would be fun to make a living out of it.
But Riley quickly found that success would only come if she could add to her repertoire.
"At that point I started doing a bed of nails and fire breathing and fire eating," said Riley.
It's all part of an act she outs on called "Odd Girl", and it has garnered plenty of attention.
"I do club events and private parties," said Riley. "I have a scooter rally coming up at Three Mile Island. Last summer I won the Miss. Allentown Freak-out Pageant."
We do want to emphasize that Riley is a trained professional, and no one, especially children, should ever try these stunts.
But if you are among the few who dream of running off with the circus when you grow up, Riley says, "Get back to me when you're 18, and I'll teach you."
For more information on Riley Schillaci visit her website: oddgirl.net
allentown, pennsylvania, local/state, walter perez
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 40 min ago
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ