NJ town to honor Marine killed in Afghanistan
WALDWICK, N.J. - April 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police will escort the body of a northern New Jersey Marine killed in combat in Afghanistan back to his hometown on Tuesday.
Waldwick residents have been asked to line the streets to honor Staff Sgt. Joseph D'Augustine.
The 29-year-old died March 27 in the Helmand province, nearly two weeks before he was due to come home for his sister's wedding. D'Augustine graduated from Waldwick High School in 2001, where he wrestled and played football.
D'Augustine was assigned to an explosive ordnance disposal unit from the 8th Engineer Support Battalion of the 2nd Marine Logistics Group, part of the Second Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Lejeune, N.C.
His funeral is scheduled for Wednesday.
new jersey, afghanistan, marine corps, military, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 52 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 49 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Fire forces several residents from Logan apts. 22 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ 56 min ago
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Rare fish found off Delaware River
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
49 min ago
- Fire forces several residents from Logan...
22 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
52 min ago
- Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
1 min ago