Reptiles, other animals found in Bucks Co. homes
April 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Animal Control officers rescued dozens of reptiles and other exotic animals from Bucks County homes.
In a raid on one home last Thursday, animal control officers found a 12-foot boa constrictor among 70 reptiles that also included bearded dragons, California king snakes, turtles and even a baby alligator.
All of the animals were moved to a different facility.
"Some of the animals have gone to specialists in their area - for one, we didn't want the alligator going to just any public member," said Maria Rupp of the Bucks County SPCA.
A few days earlier, the Bucks County SPCA moved in on another home filled with 63 animals including exotic birds, dogs, cats and kittens.
In both cases, authorities said, the animals were living in squalid conditions. Many of the animals were found covered in their own filth and diseased.
"When there's that number of animals in those kind of conditions, with lack of vet care and lack of sanitation, that's when they fall into the hoarding category," said Humane Police Officer Kathy Myron.
SPCA officials are not releasing the locations of the two homes involved and are not identifying the owners. That's because there is no evidence that these animals were physically abused and, the SPCA said, the owners are being cooperative.
Myron says the SPCA's goal is to protect the animals, not necessarily punish the owners.
"They are allowing us to find homes for the animals and, at this time, we are not pressing charges," Myron said.
Most of the animals seized are available for adoption now or will be in the next two weeks.
ONLINE: The Bucks County SPCA
pennsylvania, bucks county, animals, local/state, walter perez
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep 57 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
47 min ago
- Art of Aging: Retirement opportunities
44 min ago