Texas twisters cause travel trouble in Phila.
PHILADELPHIA INT'L AIRPORT - April 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- The lines were long at Philadelphia International Airport as passengers traveling to or through Dallas-Fort Worth tried to figure out what's next.
"I'm just trying to get home," said Jamie Baldwin from Dallas. "You know this has really put a damper on my travel. I'm just here on business trying to get back home."
While twisters ripped through the area, Dallas Fort Worth International went into emergency mode and shut down.
Cancellations for American Airlines impacted two flights this evening from PHL to DFW. Southwest delayed a 5:40 p.m. flight to Dallas Love Field, a major base for the airline.
Belinda White from Atlanta, Georgia was on her way to visit family in Dallas. Her daughter sent a picture of the hail damage to her car's back windshield.
"You're worried about your daughter but you also have the headache of having to deal with rescheduling my flight because I happen to be an employee with the airline, so my ticket doesn't matter much to them," she told Action News.
White knows her daughter is safe. But Villanova freshman Austin O'Dell, who's on his way home to Dallas, had trouble reaching his parents on the phone.
"No, my cell phone is not going through," he said. Asked what is going through his mind, Austin replied, "I just want to get home to my family."
Austin was finally able to get in touch with his parents Tuesday night and he was rebooked on a morning flight.
In fact, American was either able to do the same for other passengers or get them on flights with other airlines.
"I'm just a little frustrated but a little encouraged," said John Austin of Cherry Hill, "because everyone says American is good at taking care of people in this situation."
philadelphia, tornado, travel, texas, philadelphia international airport, local/state, kenneth moton
- Runway littered with holiday mail 26 min ago
- Warmer Weekend 56 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 30 min ago
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school 18 min ago
- SEPTA spreads holiday cheer with toy drive 37 min ago
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape 20 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ 49 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Warmer Weekend
56 min ago