Top students get makeovers in West Phila.
WEST PHILADELPHIA - April 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- The theme at Cha'yvon's Salon Wednesday was all about feeling good and looking great.
"She's getting a Moroccan Oil deep conditioner and she's happy," said the man doing Diamond Roberts' hair.
"I really didn't expect it," said Diamond.
Diamond was among ten students chosen from John Barry Elementary School for a day of pampering.
"I'm like, 'Oh my God! I'm getting my hair done!'" she said.
They were picked out of 900 children for their ability to overcome the obstacles they face growing up in West Philadelphia and striving for better.
"Often times the students who come to school every day, who are in their uniforms, who pay attention, who are respectful, we tend to not focus on them as much because they don't need as much of our attention. So this was a great opportunity for us to reward those students who are the better pupils," said assistant principal Naimeh Holliday.
The owner of the salon, Cha'yvon Dessus, was once a student at John Barry and wanted to make an impact.
"The whole idea is for them to know that there are people out here who care about them and just want to help them, rather than just doing other things instead," he told Action News.
A hair cut for the boys is $25, for the girls a minimum $45. So how much these families are saving on today's service is quite significant.
Sheila Lang couldn't be more grateful for what this hair cut has done for her little girl.
"She asks to come and get her hair done, but it's hard for me. I'm a struggling mother, I have a lot of kids. So I'm proud that she's doing good and they gave back and that she was chosen," said mom Sheila Lang.
Sheila's daughter said she loves her style so much she was just overwhelmed.
philadelphia, children, teens, west philadelphia, local/state, shirleen allicot
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man