Facebook warning in Delco for parents of teen girls
BROOMALL, Pa. - April 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- The news sent a shiver through the Paxon Hollow Middle School community: an adult man friending young girls on Facebook.
"Even a contact of a young adult to a minor is very concerning," said Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan.
The school sent out a warning after the mother of a 14-year-old girl filled out an online complaint form with a link to the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force.
Investigators were on the case immediately and found that the man had friended a number of young girls at the school.
Police have monitored his communications with the girls and have interviewed him. So far, they say he hasn't broken any laws, but the investigation continues and it serves as a warning to all parents.
"It's critical that you have your child's password, that on a daily basis, I would recommend, going over their postings on Facebook," said Whelan.
News of the Paxon Hollow incident has spread to parents throughout the county, ironically, on Facebook.
"Actually some parents have been re-posting it on Facebook, about the danger and that someone is out there doing that," said Sue Glammer of Aston, Pa.
Glammer's daughter has just turned 13 and is now on Facebook. She says she is closely monitoring her activity.
"I do have her password, so I go in there and check, make sure there are no bad messages," Glammer told Action News.
While none of the girls at Paxon have been harmed or solicited by their new adult friend, the D.A. says it's a close call that should spark a serious conversation between parents and their teens.
"Make sure that individuals that are unknown do not have access to your children's private information, and quite frankly, their very thoughts," said Whelan.
No doubt, a conversation parents are having while their kids are now on break, hopefully spending more time with their textbooks than Facebook.
pennsylvania, delaware county, facebook, local/state, david henry
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp. 21 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co. 40 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.