Pickup truck driver dies in school bus crash
TOMS RIVER, N.J. - April 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- A number of students were injured after a school bus and a pickup truck collided in Toms River, New Jersey on Thursday afternoon.
The school bus was filled with students from the Toms River Intermediate School when it was involved in the crash around 2:30 p.m. at the intersection of Yellowbank Road and Ruby Drive.
The driver of the pickup truck had the most serious injuries, police said. He was transported to the hospital where he later died of his injuries. He has been identified as 60 year old Thomas Grouss of Toms River, N.J.
Initial investigation indicates that the school bus was transporting 34 students. 11 students and the bus driver were treated and released for minor injuries from Community Medical Center in Toms River. School officials transported the students who did not require treatment back to the intermediate school, where they were reunited with their parents. The school bus was equipped with seat belts, however some of the students admitted they did not have them on but promised they would in the future. The investigation is being conducted by the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office, the Ocean County sheriff's Office, Toms River Police Traffic Safety Unit and the New Jersey State Police. Fischer Blvd was southbound was closed for over three hours between Shore Blvd and Yellowbank Road while the accident was being investigated. There was no immediate word on how this crash happened.
new jersey, ocean county, accident, school bus, local/state, dann cuellar
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 7 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad