Police: Woman robs Wilmington-area banks 3 times
WILMINGTON, Del. - April 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police say a woman has robbed Wilmington-area banks three times in two weeks.
And she is awfully good at altering her look. She is believed to be in her 20s. She changes her clothing and oversized dark glasses, she's about 5 feet tall and 140 pounds.
Yesterday, on opening day, she was sporting a Phillies cap. She robs with a demand note, but has not shown a gun.
"The note implies she has one, but she has never displayed a weapon," said Delaware State Police Corporal Jeffrey Hale.
She has hit three times. Thursday it was at a WSFS branch inside a Shop Rite on West Newport Pike in Stanton, Del. Prior to that she hit a Citizens Bank/Acme combo on Limestone Road in Pike Creek not once but twice in about ten days.
Why the supermarket branches? One theory her "covered up look" would draw less attention in a busy store than in a standalone branch.
Outside the Citizens branch Friday, people reacted to news of the female bank robber.
"Times are tough," said Dave Winward of Wilmington. "I guess she needs the money if she walks into same supermarket twice to get some cash.
Female bank robbers are a rarity despite some legendary ones like the female half of an infamous 1930's duo.
"Like Bonnie and Clyde, but she seems to work alone," said Connie Sansone of Wilmington. "You never expect a female bank robber."
But there she is behind the disguises.
If you recognize the mystery woman in the surveillance photos, the Delaware State Police would love for you to call Detective Christian Brown of the Robbery Unit at Troop 2. at 302-834-2630 ext. 6.
You can also provide a tip by texting keyword "DSP" plus your message to 274637 (CRIMES). Tipsters may also provide information through lines maintained by Delaware Crime Stoppers at (800) TIP-3333.
Callers can also submit information via the internet at www.tipsubmit.com.
delaware, wilmington, bank robbery, local/state
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 17 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 47 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police