Investigation continues into Main Line mansion fire
RADNOR TWP., Pa. - April 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Fire investigators were returned to the scene of a massive mansion fire on the Main Line.
The fire happened on Wednesday afternoon in Radnor Township and, as of Thursday, the cause remained a mystery.
The state police fire marshal is now involved in the investigation after intense flames ripped through the 19 bedroom home where some renters from Canada had been living.
Paul Yeakel has lived across the street for nearly five decades. "We've had a lot of spectators, a lot of people coming by, looking at the property, wanting to know what happened," he said.
The shell of the sprawling home became something of a local attraction. While trucks and works crews passed in and out of the long driveway, people who have walked or driven by the estate for years needing to see for themselves.
"You can see the house from the street, it's just beautiful. We've been past it before when we've gone running. When we heard about it yesterday, it's sad," said Kirsten Burke.
The 22,000 square foot estate was built in the 1920s with a beautiful ballroom and high ceilings. It was listed for sale last year at $6.9 million.
Bloomfield serves as a double of New York's Gracie Mansion for the action movie Safe, coming out at the end of the month.
"It would be nice if they could put it back to original condition. It's a beautiful home, you can't miss it driving by. It's wonderful," said Gerry Burke.
One of the questions being asked now: What does the future hold for this property?
pennsylvania, fire, delaware county, local/state
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 20 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures