Area residents prepare for Easter meals
PHILADELPHIA - April 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- People all over the area are preparing for special Easter meals on Sunday. It's not just about chocolate eggs and candy.
Mounds of mozzarella along with handfuls of ham, specialty breads were being freshly prepared at Marchiano's Bakery in Roxborough.
The fillings are generously added before the seams of the dough are swiftly pinched together. The expert hands moved quickly to keep up with the customers who just had to build their Easter feast with treats from Marchiano's.
"I'm picking up tomato pie and oreganata bread for Easter tomorrow," said Jordan Baldino. "I know I'm over in New Jersey, and there's lots of places that do it, but I'd rather come over to Marchiano's to pick it up."
Marchiano's has been working overtime to keep up with the demand, taking orders, and welcoming walk-ins.
Some of their popular Easter offerings include the traditional rice and sweet ricotta pies, and oreganata bread made with thin dough and Italian oil then stuffed.
"We stuff them with sautéed spinach or broccoli or pepperoni, and these are big hits for appetizers because you really don't have to heat them," said Daneen Marchiano.
The bakers over at Cosmi's Pastries in South Philadelphia keep moving to keep up with the demand for their Easter Bread, which is also a hot item.
"We've already baked off and sold about 700 loaves of Easter bread, and we'll probably bake off and sell another 2,300 between today and tomorrow," said Geoff Mansion.
Cosmi's also has a dedicated customer base. People travel for miles to satisfy their sweet tooth which usually includes an irresistible chocolate chip cheesecake.
"I bought ricotta pie, Easter bread, cannoli, and my daughter wants chocolate chip cookies," said Gina Binns.
From breads to blooms, down the street on 10th and Oregon folks found some non-edible additions for their Easter table for a splash of color and a breath of spring-time while they enjoy good food and great company.
Whatever you're eating, however you're celebrating, just be sure to have a safe and wonderful holiday.
easter, philadelphia, local/state, katherine scott
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish