Berks Co. forest fire nears fireworks factory
UNION TWP., Pa. - April 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials are concerned as a forest fire in Berks County spreads closer and closer to a fireworks factory.
At around 12:25 p.m., fire crews were dispatched for a woods fire at French Creek State Park located on Harmonyville Road and route 345.
Upon arrival, crews discovered at least 10 acres of woodland burning out of control.
At the same time, they were told about another nearby fire at 5 Tower Road and Scotts Run Road.
Currently approximately 30 fire crews are involved. They hail from Berks, Bucks Chester, Montgomery and Lancaster counties.
Additionally, firefighters from the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources are onsite lending their expertise.
The fire at this time has not been contained.
About a dozen residents have been evacuated from the area.
There was a concern that the fire would make its way to a nearby fireworks facility but so far, fire crews have managed to hold the fire off from drifting that way.
Authorities have evacuated the International Fireworks factory on the 200 block of Sycamore Road in Douglassville as a precaution.
pennsylvania, berks county, fire, fireworks, local/state
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville
- Stray Shower, Patchy Fog Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park 17 min ago
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Phillies rally for 3-2 win over Reds 1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos