Berks Co. forest fire nears fireworks factory
UNION TWP., Pa. - April 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials are concerned as a forest fire in Berks County spreads closer and closer to a fireworks factory.
At around 12:25 p.m., fire crews were dispatched for a woods fire at French Creek State Park located on Harmonyville Road and route 345.
Upon arrival, crews discovered at least 10 acres of woodland burning out of control.
At the same time, they were told about another nearby fire at 5 Tower Road and Scotts Run Road.
Currently approximately 30 fire crews are involved. They hail from Berks, Bucks Chester, Montgomery and Lancaster counties.
Additionally, firefighters from the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources are onsite lending their expertise.
The fire at this time has not been contained.
About a dozen residents have been evacuated from the area.
There was a concern that the fire would make its way to a nearby fireworks facility but so far, fire crews have managed to hold the fire off from drifting that way.
Authorities have evacuated the International Fireworks factory on the 200 block of Sycamore Road in Douglassville as a precaution.
pennsylvania, berks county, fire, fireworks, local/state
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bitter Blast Thursday 41 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3
- Prosecutor: no charges against George Zimmerman
- Protestors block ICE building in Spring Garden
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School 52 min ago
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Power returns after outage at Christiana Mall
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro
- Bitter Blast Thursday
41 min ago