Suspects sought in armed robberies at Kutztown University
KUTZTOWN, Pa. - April 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are looking for suspects in three holdups since late March targeting Kutztown University students.
Investigators say surveillance video from has already led them to one of the suspects, 19-year-old Christopher Biney, also a Kutztown student, who was arrested on Tuesday morning. Police say Biney was arrested after witnesses came forward saying they could identify him because they lived in his dorm freshman year.
However a search continues for three more suspects.
In the surveillance video, police say, Biney was one of the masked gunmen behind at least two home invasions. Then, early Sunday morning, the same men allegedly robbed and assaulted a 22-year-old student sitting in the parking lot of a housing complex.
"They struck the individual with the weapons then took electronic items, cell phones and laptops," said Chief Craig Summers of the Kutztown Police Department.
Marisa Kalodner, a junior at the school in Berks County, says she and her roommates are nervous wrecks.
"We double-check to see who is coming into the door, we look through the window every time before we open it," Kalodner said.
Meanwhile, several students who know the victims say while reports of masked gunmen are new, off-campus robberies are not.
"I've been robbed a couple of times. This happened last semester, it's happening a lot in Kutztown. I've had my computer taken twice, it's really not good," said senior Perry Schwartz.
In each case, the thieves made off with hundreds, even thousands of dollars, worth of electronics and cash.
Anyone with information is urged to contact the Kutztown Police Department.
pennsylvania, berks county, robbery, kutztown, local/state, walter perez
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 47 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom 10 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 57 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship 47 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
47 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
42 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos