Getting guns off the street in Upper Darby, Pa.
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - April 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- "These guns will never be used in any type of crime," said Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood.
250 guns are headed for the fire. They're guns confiscated off the streets of Upper Darby.
"Several of these guns were used in suicides, robberies, homicides, barricaded persons. They run the gamut," Chitwood said.
The collection is an NRA member's dream. Pump action shotguns, revolvers, rifles, large guns, small guns, rusty guns, even an AK-47.
And then there is a vintage1898 Springfield, worth an estimated $10,000. But Chitwood says his department isn't getting a dime.
"Let me tell you something. If this were a Third World country, we could win the war. There are more guns on the street than steak sandwiches.
Police loaded up the guns into a van.
They are headed to a furnace in Claymont, Delaware. They'll be heated to roughly 3000 degrees.
This is the third gun melt under Chitwood over the years. He says many of these guns could have been stolen from homes or people. The police department put out a classified ad with the serial numbers of those guns, but not one was claimed.
"So when people drive by and see bridge construction, or school building or playground equipment, they can say some of guns from Upper Darby Township were probably used for those fabrications," said Chitwood.
pennsylvania, guns, recycling, delaware county, local/state, chad pradelli
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 10 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media 52 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 31 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013 57 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
52 min ago