Del. football player killed in fiery crash
MIDDLETOWN, Del. - April 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- A mother is trying to comprehend why her 17-year-old son Andre Smith was taken too soon.
The high school senior and star football player lost his life in a car accident Thursday night.
Delaware State Police say 19-year-old Marshall-Horsey was behind the wheel, travelling northbound on Route 896 at a high rate of speed, when he lost control.
His vehicle crossed the center median, and smashed into another vehicle travelling southbound.
A fire engulfed the vehicle killing Smith. The driver of the other vehicle and the three surviving teenagers all sustained non-life threatening injuries.
Smith was set to go to Erie Community College in Buffalo next year, with the goal of then heading to a division one football program.
"He would have made it. He was built for it, he was on the path of going to the NFL," said Kerry Smith, the victim's brother.
Reminders of Andre's athletic excellence adorn the family's mantelpiece. One of his three brothers clutched his team jacket.
"He was very loving still. At 17, he would walk up to my husband and I and hug us and tell us that he loves us," said Inger Smith the victim's mother.
The victim, his brother Andrew, and three friends had spent the day at Rehoboth Beach, all on spring break from Appoquinimink High School.
The teens dropped Andrew off at home soon before the crash.
"He basically just saved my life because if I was in the back of that car, it was pretty tight in there, I wouldn't have survived if he didn't tell me to go home," said Andrew Smith, the victim's brother.
Smith's family prays for the recovery of all involved but says it's crucial for other teenagers to learn from this.
"You guys got to realize that your life can be taken so fast. This young man, my little brother had everything going for himand he was taken," said Isaiah Smith, the victim's brother.
The investigation continues but preliminary information indicates that everyone involved in the accident was wearing a seatbelt.
delaware, new castle county, accident, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 17 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
17 min ago