Woman, 79, and great-granddaughter killed in N. Phila. fire
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - April 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a child and an elderly woman died when they were entrapped by flames in house fire in North Philadelphia.
The blaze broke out around 12:30 Sunday morning on the 1200 block of West Firth Street.
The victims were identified by relatives as 79-year-old Ardalia Bumpus and her 4-year-old great granddaughter Nevaeh Bryant. Both were unable to escape and died.
Firefighters were met with heavy flames upon arrival. The home - located on a partial dead end made the blaze hard for crews to battle.
Crews brought the blaze under control within an hour. Fire officials say neighbors even helped to stretch hoses down the street.
"It was very precarious to navigate this block coming in from the 13th Street side. It is a partial dead end with a very sharp turn so the fire companies had to be very careful coming in," said Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers.
Nevaeh's parents escaped with her 13-month-old sister, Allura, who was in stable condition after being treated for smoke inhalation at St. Christopher's Hospital.
One firefighter suffered a minor injury when a decorative beam fell on his head, but he's expected to make a full recovery.
The elderly victim was known among the community and her family lived in the home for nearly 60 years.
Relatives say 'Grandma Bumpus' as she was affectionately called, always took care of her family.
Bumpus and her husband, who died in 2010, raised two daughters, four sons, along with helping many grandchildren, great-grandchildren and even those who weren't family.
"They fed anybody that was hungry. They clothed anybody and anything they could do to help they did," said Ranalda Brown, granddaughter.
"My mother was great. She was great - the matriarch of the family and loved by everyone. A church woman - Christian all our life," said Tommasine Adams, daughter.
Investigators believe the fire started in the kitchen but are still trying to figure out what sparked it.
Meanwhile the Red Cross is providing food and clothing to the surviving victims.
philadelphia, north philadelphia, fire, children, local/state
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 50 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 36 min ago
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 26 min ago
- Wildfire risk prompts Red Flag Warning for NJ 11 min ago
- Road reopens months after Frankford water main break 41 min ago
- Man shot multiple times in West Philadelphia 26 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
36 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
50 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos