Vigil held for fallen Philadelphia firefighters
KENSINGTON - April 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Almost one week ago, two of Philadelphia's finest lost their lives. On Sunday night, the neighbors they helped save said thank you.
The vigil was put on by the East Kensington Neighborhood Association.
About 80 people attended and they felt they had to pay their respects to the two fallen firefighters.
"Tonight is above all a thank you to them and a salute to all first responders who do things in moments that we are not able to do."
Thos were just some of the words heard at the vigil.
Residents of Kensington and the surrounding neighborhoods gathered at the foot of the rubble to remember Captain Robert Neary and Lieutenant Daniel Sweeney
"We are just a neighborhood away and just wanted to come down and show my support," Mary Ann Trombetta said.
"I wore sunglasses because I knew I'd be crying; anybody that does that, sacrifices their own life for a life that may be saved or may not be, is a hero. Always," Joanne Hulme of East Kensington said.
The deaths have left the firefighting family in pain.
Several firefighters attended the vigil.
They say the outpouring of support from the public has helped in the healing.
"We are still trying to see through it; we are sticking together and just looking out for each other and keeping everyone in our prayers," Captain Robert Brennan said.
The vigil comes after two days of funeral services.
Firefighters from all around the country arrived in Philadelphia and lined the streets to say goodbye. Some came from as far away as Canada.
But the goodbyes are not over and continued tonight.
The investigation into what caused the fire is still ongoing.
There remains a heavy police presence at the scene.
It is still unclear if the owners of the property will face criminal charges.
kensington, philadelphia, fire, local/state, chad pradelli
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis 42 min ago
- DeCoatsworth seeks to withdraw guilty plea 48 min ago
- Mistrial declared in Philly priest sex-abuse case 40 min ago
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 26 min ago
- Montco student diagnosed with meningitis-causing infection 2 min ago
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush...
12 min ago
- Montco student diagnosed with...
2 min ago