Breaking ground for a new hotel in Center City Philadelphia
CENTER CITY - April 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A ceremonial toss of the dirt made it official, as they broke ground Tuesday for the new Home2 Suites By Hilton.
The 246-suite hotel will sit on the corner of 12th and Arch Streets.
More than 200 guests came from all over the country to celebrate the groundbreaking on the $60 million project.
"The great news is, as I understand it, many of them struggled to find hotel rooms," said Robert Zuritsky, president of Parkway Corporation.
Parkway and the Wurzak Hotel Group shared hosting duties for Tuesday's ceremony, lauding the new hotel's "location, location, location."
The property sits across from the newly expanded Pennsylvania Convention Center, the Reading Terminal Market, next to a Parkway garage and within blocks of a major transit hub.
"Being located at the best location in Philadelphia, where you have convention demand, leisure demand and corporate demand, we're going to ride that train all the way to the station," said Jake Wurzak, Esq. of the Wurzak Hotel Group.
The hotel is hoping to draw both tourists and business travelers, generating 123 new construction jobs and 146 permanent hotel jobs.
Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter talked about the increasing need for hotels as the city expands its attractions, museums, and restaurants.
"We're going to continue to invest, continue to grow, continue to support this great industry, which gives livelihood and life to people and to this great city," he said.
The hotel is expected to be completed by summer 2013.
philadelphia, tourism, center city, mayor michael nutter, local/state, katherine scott
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped girls in class 7 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment 12 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 9 min ago
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 1 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 58 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 57 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 48 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
9 min ago