Multi-alarm fire, evacuations at Delaware private school
WILMINGTON, Del. - April 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Firefighters battling a multi-alarm fire at a private school near Wilmington, Delaware appear to have gotten the upper hand.
Fire officials are telling Action News that all visible fire at Wilmington Friends School has been knocked down as of 1:36 p.m. Tuesday.
Firefighters are continuing to search for pockets of fire in the roof and walls. There is a report of one firefighter injured and being transported to Christiana Hospital for evaluation for cardiac distress.
Emergency officials tell Action News that the school is asking parents who normally pick up their children at the school to pick them up at the following location instead: the parking lot at 1701 Augustine Cut Off (Papastravos Associates). This is due to the heavy presence of fire equipment currently on school property.
Officials say flames were first reported at 12:45 p.m. Tuesday in the auditorium near the stage at the Upper School of Wilmington Friends School in Alapocas, a residential neighborhood just outside the City of Wilmington.
The fire prompted the immediate evacuation of students from the school.
A second alarm was struck at 12:57 p.m., and a third alarm called at 1:07 p.m.
Crews reported heavy smoke showing through the roof. Firefighters have been evacuated from the building due to a partial roof collapse.
School officials say all students have been accounted for. No injuries have been reported.
Images from Chopper 6 HD showed a number of students gathered outdoors on a school athletic field.
The Wilmington Friends School is a Quaker-run private school founded in 1748. It is said to be the oldest school in Delaware.
The school serves approximately 800 students from preschool through 12th grade.
delaware, fire, children, school, local/state
- 1 dead, 5 hurt in Trenton drive-by shooting
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Crews battle house fire in Elsmere
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- Photos: Snowy owl spotted in Strathmere
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs