Multi-alarm fire, evacuations at Delaware private school
WILMINGTON, Del. - April 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Firefighters battling a multi-alarm fire at a private school near Wilmington, Delaware appear to have gotten the upper hand.
Fire officials are telling Action News that all visible fire at Wilmington Friends School has been knocked down as of 1:36 p.m. Tuesday.
Firefighters are continuing to search for pockets of fire in the roof and walls. There is a report of one firefighter injured and being transported to Christiana Hospital for evaluation for cardiac distress.
Emergency officials tell Action News that the school is asking parents who normally pick up their children at the school to pick them up at the following location instead: the parking lot at 1701 Augustine Cut Off (Papastravos Associates). This is due to the heavy presence of fire equipment currently on school property.
Officials say flames were first reported at 12:45 p.m. Tuesday in the auditorium near the stage at the Upper School of Wilmington Friends School in Alapocas, a residential neighborhood just outside the City of Wilmington.
The fire prompted the immediate evacuation of students from the school.
A second alarm was struck at 12:57 p.m., and a third alarm called at 1:07 p.m.
Crews reported heavy smoke showing through the roof. Firefighters have been evacuated from the building due to a partial roof collapse.
School officials say all students have been accounted for. No injuries have been reported.
Images from Chopper 6 HD showed a number of students gathered outdoors on a school athletic field.
The Wilmington Friends School is a Quaker-run private school founded in 1748. It is said to be the oldest school in Delaware.
The school serves approximately 800 students from preschool through 12th grade.
delaware, fire, children, school, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 34 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case 23 min ago
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; 6 dead, 290 missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia