Flags to be lowered to honor fallen NJ marine
TRENTON, N.J. - April 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Gov. Chris Christie has ordered flags at all state buildings to be flown at half-staff to honor a fallen Marine corporal.
The flags will be lowered Friday in tribute to Derek Kerns, a 21-year-old Woodstown native killed last week in a training mission in Morocco.
Kerns joined the Marines in September 2008, shortly after he graduated from Woodstown High School.
He was a MV-22 crew chief with Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 261, Marine Aircraft Group 26MV-22, and was based at New River Air Station in North Carolina.
Kerns was recently married and the father of a 3-month-old son.
new jersey, gov. chris christie, local/state
- 2 dead in police involved shootings
- Very unsettled Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club 56 min ago
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Surveillance released in fatal Camden shooting
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Brutal attack in London heightens terror fears
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Finding the perfect bra
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip...
56 min ago