DA: Death exposes embezzlement in Delco
SHARON HILL, Pa. - April 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Delaware County woman has been charged for embezzlement from a business, and authorities say the crime came to light after the death of one of the owners.
The Delaware County Criminal Investigation Division - Economic Crime Unit arrested Dorothy J. Miller, 50, of Moewyn Drive in Havertown earlier this week. She is charged with multiple felony counts of theft, forgery, identity theft, and conspiracy.
The investigation began in December 2008 when authorities spoke to Kimberly Summers who, along with her husband John, were the owners of Summers Hardwood Floors in Sharon Hill. However, after the death of John Summers, Kimberly Summers told investigators she discovered apparent misuse of funds.
Summers said that Miller was hired to run the administrative part of the business in early 2005. Summers also told investigators that in or around July, 2005 that she took a step back from the business and the defendant took on more responsibilities.
The unit's investigation allegedly uncovered that Miller had forged checks drawn from both the Summers' personal checking account as well as from the business for more than $98,000. Investigators also alleged that Miller took out a $50,000 business equity line of credit under the Summers' names.
Miller was arraigned and held on $75,000 cash bail. A preliminary hearing is set for April 24th.
pennsylvania, delaware county, embezzlement, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 35 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 16 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ