DA: Death exposes embezzlement in Delco
SHARON HILL, Pa. - April 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Delaware County woman has been charged for embezzlement from a business, and authorities say the crime came to light after the death of one of the owners.
The Delaware County Criminal Investigation Division - Economic Crime Unit arrested Dorothy J. Miller, 50, of Moewyn Drive in Havertown earlier this week. She is charged with multiple felony counts of theft, forgery, identity theft, and conspiracy.
The investigation began in December 2008 when authorities spoke to Kimberly Summers who, along with her husband John, were the owners of Summers Hardwood Floors in Sharon Hill. However, after the death of John Summers, Kimberly Summers told investigators she discovered apparent misuse of funds.
Summers said that Miller was hired to run the administrative part of the business in early 2005. Summers also told investigators that in or around July, 2005 that she took a step back from the business and the defendant took on more responsibilities.
The unit's investigation allegedly uncovered that Miller had forged checks drawn from both the Summers' personal checking account as well as from the business for more than $98,000. Investigators also alleged that Miller took out a $50,000 business equity line of credit under the Summers' names.
Miller was arraigned and held on $75,000 cash bail. A preliminary hearing is set for April 24th.
pennsylvania, delaware county, embezzlement, local/state
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- 10-year-old Wilmington boy reported missing 48 min ago
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide 15 min ago
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown church 51 min ago
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp.
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE
- James, Heat push NBA Finals to Game 7
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown...
51 min ago