DA: Death exposes embezzlement in Delco
SHARON HILL, Pa. - April 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Delaware County woman has been charged for embezzlement from a business, and authorities say the crime came to light after the death of one of the owners.
The Delaware County Criminal Investigation Division - Economic Crime Unit arrested Dorothy J. Miller, 50, of Moewyn Drive in Havertown earlier this week. She is charged with multiple felony counts of theft, forgery, identity theft, and conspiracy.
The investigation began in December 2008 when authorities spoke to Kimberly Summers who, along with her husband John, were the owners of Summers Hardwood Floors in Sharon Hill. However, after the death of John Summers, Kimberly Summers told investigators she discovered apparent misuse of funds.
Summers said that Miller was hired to run the administrative part of the business in early 2005. Summers also told investigators that in or around July, 2005 that she took a step back from the business and the defendant took on more responsibilities.
The unit's investigation allegedly uncovered that Miller had forged checks drawn from both the Summers' personal checking account as well as from the business for more than $98,000. Investigators also alleged that Miller took out a $50,000 business equity line of credit under the Summers' names.
Miller was arraigned and held on $75,000 cash bail. A preliminary hearing is set for April 24th.
pennsylvania, delaware county, embezzlement, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ