Local woman knits socks for local Vets
April 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- In the spirit of National Volunteer Week, Action News has discovered a local woman who has done much more than her fair share of volunteering.
Her most frequent recipients are our military Veterans.
She is a local widow with a gift of knitting and giving. And what a difference she has made in the lives of thousands of Vets.
Doris Grossman has been knitting amputee socks for local Veterans in her apartment at the Watermark Retirement Community for three years.
The Vets call them stump socks.
"I sit here and I realize how many vets are now home and are physically and mentally disabled," said Doris.
The widespread use of explosive devices in Iraq and Afghanistan has sent thousands of American soldiers home with missing limbs.
Doris, a member of the Watermark's knitting club, began knitting for Vets after she attended a meeting of the National Activist group "Granny's For Peace".
But she also does it for her oldest son, a psychiatric nurse, who passed away a few years ago at the age of 55.
"I do have some sort of emotional feeling that when I am doing this for others, I am sort of doing something good for him also," Doris said.
She donates the socks anonymously to the VA hospital in West Philadelphia.
"I also enclose a note that says, 'Made with Love, Mom Mom'," Doris said.
Larry Smith, a Vietnam era Vet, had his leg amputated just two weeks ago, after years of disease & complications.
Larry is determined to drive again once he gets his prosthesis, and he says he won't forget the widow whose simple act of kindness made all the difference.
"I'm just so grateful that someone thought of me," said Larry.
Doris Grossman also knits hats for chemo patients throughout the area.
She says she's just happy that she is able to do something for others to bring a little joy to their lives.
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip 12 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 8 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse 39 min ago
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
4 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
8 min ago