Delaware executes convicted killer Shannon Johnson
SMRYNA, Del. - April 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- He was executed in Delaware early this morning.
Shannon Johnson was put to death by lethal injection, and was pronounced dead at 2:55 this morning.
It came after a night of back-and-forth appeals. It all began when Judge Gregory Sleet of District Court issued a stay just before 11:00 p.m.
The Attorney General's office appealed to the Third U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
Judge Sleet is the same judge who issued an earlier stay of execution.
Federal public defenders filed an appeal just days ago on behalf of Johnson's sister who claimed he's mentally incompetent.
Court documents stated Johnson suffered from delusional disorder and major depression.
Judge Sleet delayed the execution Wednesday, but on Thursday evening, an appeals court overturned the decision.
In September of 2006, Johnson shot and killed 25-year-old Cameron Hamlin in a jealous rampage on Vandever Avenue in Wilmington.
Cameron was sitting in a car with Johnson's ex-girlfriend when Johnson opened fire.
Johnson's execution was set to take place shortly after midnight.
He said he was ready to die as he awaited his scheduled execution.
After Cameron's murder, Action News was there as his family prayed outside his home.
Family members say the recent appeals had caused a rollercoaster of emotions.
Last Friday, Cameron's father, a local postal worker, didn't know the execution was back on until we delivered the news.
"For real? I'm happy, very happy," Vandrick Hamlin said upon hearing the news.
delaware, homicide, local/state
- Charges dropped against fmr. Montco GOP leader
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family of injured Harrah's racer sues casino
- Suspect sought in NE Phila. Wawa robbery 45 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 47 min ago
- Greyhound passengers stranded for hours in Del. 38 min ago
- Officer-involved accident in Ewing Township 11 min ago
- Snow plow overturns on I-95 in Delaware
- New uncertainty about missing Malaysian plane 6 min ago
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians
- Mick Jagger's girlfriend found dead in NYC
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade