4 Phila. police officers assaulted in 2 overnight incidents
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - April 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two separate incidents at bars in Philadelphia ended up landing four police officers in the hospital early Friday morning.
The first incident happened around 2:00 a.m. Friday at Benny the Bum's Bar and Restaurant in Northeast Philadelphia. It was there that an off-duty officer came to the aid of a customer who was being assaulted by two men.
Surveillance video captured the moment when the officer intervened. However, the suspects then turned on the officer, roughing him up. The two men then ran out to a car and drove off.
Police say they pulled the car over a few blocks away on the 1900 block of Welsh Road and arrested the two men. The suspects face assault charges.
Luckily, the officer only suffered minor injuries.
In Southwest Philadelphia at about the same time three officers responded to reports of a fight inside Lid's Lounge, located at the intersection of Cemetery and Woodland avenues.
Investigators say a man attacked the officers when they walked into the bar. They managed to wrestle him to the floor and take him into custody.
The suspect faces a variety of assault charges.
The officers were taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for treatment of cuts and bruises.
philadelphia, assault, northeast philadelphia, southwest philadelphia, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police