FBI: 'Silent Bandit' arrested in the Poconos
April 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- A man charged with robbing a bank in the Poconos is under FBI investigation for a series of bank robberies perpetrated by a suspect known as the "Silent Bandit."
Fawzi Atra was arrested Thursday a few minutes after police say he robbed an ESSA Bank branch at a grocery store in Mount Pocono.
A federal criminal complaint says Atra made off with $1,500. He waived a detention hearing on Friday afternoon and remains behind bars.
FBI spokesman J.J. Klaver says Atra is a suspect in five other bank robberies over the past two weeks, but has not been charged.
The robberies took place at branches inside grocery stores in Lehigh and Bucks counties and in the Trenton, N.J. area.
Atra's public defender, Ingrid Cronin, had no immediate comment Friday.
new jersey, bucks county, bank robbery, local/state
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 32 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philadelphia 22 min ago
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
32 min ago
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW...
22 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos