FBI: 'Silent Bandit' arrested in the Poconos
April 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- A man charged with robbing a bank in the Poconos is under FBI investigation for a series of bank robberies perpetrated by a suspect known as the "Silent Bandit."
Fawzi Atra was arrested Thursday a few minutes after police say he robbed an ESSA Bank branch at a grocery store in Mount Pocono.
A federal criminal complaint says Atra made off with $1,500. He waived a detention hearing on Friday afternoon and remains behind bars.
FBI spokesman J.J. Klaver says Atra is a suspect in five other bank robberies over the past two weeks, but has not been charged.
The robberies took place at branches inside grocery stores in Lehigh and Bucks counties and in the Trenton, N.J. area.
Atra's public defender, Ingrid Cronin, had no immediate comment Friday.
new jersey, bucks county, bank robbery, local/state
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall 37 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man gunned down at water ice stand 47 min ago
- Bicyclist shoots man in face in SW Philadelphia 7 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia 45 min ago
- Man shot in the head in Camden; suspect sought 43 min ago
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Man gunned down at water ice stand
47 min ago