Police investigate suspicious fires in Montgomery Co.
HORSHAM, Pa. - April 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in two Montgomery County townships are asking for help finding the person playing a very dangerous game with fire.
A firebug kept firefighters running throughout the early morning hours in Horsham and Upper Moreland Townships.
"At this point the investigation is still ongoing, but we do believe that the fires were intentionally set," says Sgt. Timothy Troxel.
Fires broke out in half a dozen locations in two apartment complexes across the street from each other.
The arsonist set fire to a storage room in one of the buildings at Blair Mill Village.
Residents had to be evacuated as the flames destroyed one of the apartments.
Police say it was a dangerous situation.
"It's a very risky for loss of life. Horsham did have to evacuate a building, and they had some people coming out windows," said Sgt. Troxel.
The arsonist also started fires in several dumpsters.
Across the street, someone set fire to three laundry rooms in the Blair Mill Apartments.
A police officer suffered smoke inhalation trying to drag burning materials out of one of the buildings.
Residents of that building lost their water and electricity and had to be evacuated.
The police say whoever is playing with fire is lucky no one was seriously injured.
"Any time you are dealing with fire and it's obviously uncontrolled, whoever is doing it is lighting it and running off, you don't know what's going to happen with it or how it might escalate," said Sgt. Troxel.
The police need your help. They are asking anyone who may have seen anything suspicious near those apartments to call 911 right away.
fire, montgomery county, pennsylvania, local/state, david henry
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
- Soupy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- Police: Driver under influence crashes into fire dept.
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure
- Bucks County bear now spotted in Bristol Twp.
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr