Police investigate suspicious fires in Montgomery Co.
HORSHAM, Pa. - April 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in two Montgomery County townships are asking for help finding the person playing a very dangerous game with fire.
A firebug kept firefighters running throughout the early morning hours in Horsham and Upper Moreland Townships.
"At this point the investigation is still ongoing, but we do believe that the fires were intentionally set," says Sgt. Timothy Troxel.
Fires broke out in half a dozen locations in two apartment complexes across the street from each other.
The arsonist set fire to a storage room in one of the buildings at Blair Mill Village.
Residents had to be evacuated as the flames destroyed one of the apartments.
Police say it was a dangerous situation.
"It's a very risky for loss of life. Horsham did have to evacuate a building, and they had some people coming out windows," said Sgt. Troxel.
The arsonist also started fires in several dumpsters.
Across the street, someone set fire to three laundry rooms in the Blair Mill Apartments.
A police officer suffered smoke inhalation trying to drag burning materials out of one of the buildings.
Residents of that building lost their water and electricity and had to be evacuated.
The police say whoever is playing with fire is lucky no one was seriously injured.
"Any time you are dealing with fire and it's obviously uncontrolled, whoever is doing it is lighting it and running off, you don't know what's going to happen with it or how it might escalate," said Sgt. Troxel.
The police need your help. They are asking anyone who may have seen anything suspicious near those apartments to call 911 right away.
fire, montgomery county, pennsylvania, local/state, david henry
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 51 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
5 min ago