Woman arrested in Wawa $2,300 theft
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - April 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Delaware County have made an arrest in a bold crime of opportunity that took place in a Wawa convenience store.
After receiving dozens of tips, Upper Darby police tracked down the woman, who was captured on surveillance video stealing an envelope full of cash.
28-year-old Stephanie Paparo of Clifton Heights left the Upper Darby Township building Wednesday morning without comment after being arraigned on charges of theft by unlawful taking and receiving stolen property. The mother of three young children told the judge that she was employed and had never before this been arrested. She was released on $10,000 unsecured bail.
She left alongside a woman who did not identify herself. That woman told reporters, "That's all there is. She made a mistake."
Police released surveillance video earlier this week of the incident that occurred several weeks ago at a Wawa located at 5337 Baltimore Pike. The victim, Jim Duffy, told Action News how he unknowingly dropped a wad of cash by the register - $2,300 he was planning to put toward a new car.
The video shows the woman, later identified as Paparo, grabbing the loot and quickly looking around. The video then shows her placing her items back and fleeing the store.
As soon as the video aired, police say tip calls flooded in.
Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood says, "It's about being morally and ethically correct. Again, is this crime of the century? No. But, was she wrong? Yeah. Now she's going to pay the consequences."
As to what happened to that $2,300, it remains unclear. It was recorded that the money was recovered at the house, however Upper Darby Police say that was not the case, that the money was not recovered - not any portion of it.
Paparo is expected in a Secane court for a preliminary hearing on May 3.
pennsylvania, upper darby, theft, local/state
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J. 15 min ago
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering 2 min ago
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft 35 min ago
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle 9 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in...
15 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos