Woman arrested in Wawa $2,300 theft
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - April 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Delaware County have made an arrest in a bold crime of opportunity that took place in a Wawa convenience store.
After receiving dozens of tips, Upper Darby police tracked down the woman, who was captured on surveillance video stealing an envelope full of cash.
28-year-old Stephanie Paparo of Clifton Heights left the Upper Darby Township building Wednesday morning without comment after being arraigned on charges of theft by unlawful taking and receiving stolen property. The mother of three young children told the judge that she was employed and had never before this been arrested. She was released on $10,000 unsecured bail.
She left alongside a woman who did not identify herself. That woman told reporters, "That's all there is. She made a mistake."
Police released surveillance video earlier this week of the incident that occurred several weeks ago at a Wawa located at 5337 Baltimore Pike. The victim, Jim Duffy, told Action News how he unknowingly dropped a wad of cash by the register - $2,300 he was planning to put toward a new car.
The video shows the woman, later identified as Paparo, grabbing the loot and quickly looking around. The video then shows her placing her items back and fleeing the store.
As soon as the video aired, police say tip calls flooded in.
Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood says, "It's about being morally and ethically correct. Again, is this crime of the century? No. But, was she wrong? Yeah. Now she's going to pay the consequences."
As to what happened to that $2,300, it remains unclear. It was recorded that the money was recovered at the house, however Upper Darby Police say that was not the case, that the money was not recovered - not any portion of it.
Paparo is expected in a Secane court for a preliminary hearing on May 3.
pennsylvania, upper darby, theft, local/state
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 33 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower 20 min ago