Woman charged in Newark house arson
NEWARK, Del. - April 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials in Newark, Delaware say a house fire that left four people suffering smoke inhalation was the result of arson.
The fire broke out in the basement of a home in the unit block of White Drive in the Salem Woods neighborhood shortly at 3:42 p.m. Monday.
State Fire Investigators conducted an investigation and determined that combustible materials were intentionally ignited in the basement.
Warrants have been issued for Sheria Whitsett, charging her with Arson 1st degree, 4 counts of reckless endangering 1st degree, and 3 counts of Assault 3rd degree.
Whitsett was admitted to the hospital for what are only described as non-fire related injuries. She will be arraigned on charges upon her release.
Damages to the home are estimated at $1,500.
Four adult residents of the house were treated and released at Christiana Hospital.
newark, delaware, fire, arson, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases