Woman charged in Newark house arson
NEWARK, Del. - April 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Officials in Newark, Delaware say a house fire that left four people suffering smoke inhalation was the result of arson.
The fire broke out in the basement of a home in the unit block of White Drive in the Salem Woods neighborhood shortly at 3:42 p.m. Monday.
State Fire Investigators conducted an investigation and determined that combustible materials were intentionally ignited in the basement.
Warrants have been issued for Sheria Whitsett, charging her with Arson 1st degree, 4 counts of reckless endangering 1st degree, and 3 counts of Assault 3rd degree.
Whitsett was admitted to the hospital for what are only described as non-fire related injuries. She will be arraigned on charges upon her release.
Damages to the home are estimated at $1,500.
Four adult residents of the house were treated and released at Christiana Hospital.
newark, delaware, fire, arson, local/state
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book