Police arrest suspect in Center City bank robbery
CENTER CITY - April 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have announced an arrest in a Center City bank robbery that ended with a dye pack exploding.
The robbery happened around 11:40 a.m. Tuesday at the Republic Bank branch located at 1601 Market Street.
Police say a man entered the bank and handed the teller a note demanding money. The quick thinking teller gave the suspect bait money with a dye pack, which is said to have exploded on the man's face and hands as he fled the bank.
The man later dropped the dye pack and money outside of the Susquehanna Bank located at 17th and Market streets.
There were no injuries to others.
Minutes later, at 18th and Callowhill Streets, Philadelphia Police Detectives spotted 30-year-old Christian Stephens of the 4500 block of North Darien Street, who fit the description of the suspect from the bank robbery.
Stephens was stopped by detectives, positively identified, and placed under arrest.
He will be charged with robbery and related offenses.
center city, philadelphia, bank robbery, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident 57 min ago
- 70s Return This Week 36 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery 39 min ago
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire 42 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire 53 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 41 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing 20 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 18 min ago
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
57 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom...
18 min ago
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
39 min ago
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia...
53 min ago