Fitness for the Fearless
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - April 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Book your typical fitness class and you know exactly what you're getting into. You'll probably be doing it for 12 or 13 weeks.
South Philadelphia's Fearless Athletics is for fitness enthusiasts who want something else. The gym on South 11th Street specializes in Crossfit...cross-training at its highest intensity.
Owner and personal trainer Wil Vicinus builds a different routine every day, and you never know what'll on the schedule until you show up on any given day.
He posts a list on the gym's whiteboard, and you go at it, best you can, one exercise at a time.
Vicinus says people who can work in teams yet have a personal competitive spirit do best. But he says the program can work for anyone.
Exercises are designed to be toned down for absolute beginners and amped up for elite athletes.
Each exercise is built into a timed session, and you'll probably do three or four things in a session. Before enrolling, a participant fills out a health profile.
If anything raises concern, you're asked to see your health care professional to make sure you and Crossfit are an appropriate match.
On our visit, participants did a session of weight training, worked out with medicine balls, skipped rope at a high rate of speed, and did 150-meter runs.
At the end of a session, you get cardio conditions, endurance and strength training all in one workout. Vicinus says a lot of college teams use Crossfit and some pro athletes do, but no local pro team has enrolled in his program to date.
The center is open seven days a week from 6:00 am to 7:00pm. Most programs occur in a class environment but personal training is available.
For more information, phone 215-983-1515, or visit Fearless Athletics online.
The center is located at 744 S. 11th Street, just below Fitzwater and just a couple of blocks from the Italian Market.
exercise, south philadelphia, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ