Suspicious package detonated outside Montco school
LOWER GWYNEDD TWP., Pa. - April 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Montgomery County Bomb Squad has detonated a suspicious package found outside a high school in Lower Gwynedd Township.
Authorities were called to Houston and Knight Roads at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, after receiving a call about a suspicious package on the sidewalk outside Wissahickon High School.
The package was about the size of a brick and wrapped in duct tape.
Police tell Action News that a man who claimed to have found it on the sidewalk took it into the main office of the school at about 11:00 a.m. A receptionist there gave it to a maintenance man, who put it back outside. They called police about an hour later.
The Montgomery County Bomb Squad then arrived, detonated the device and rendered it safe. Police say there didn't appear to be anything suspicious about the device, but further testing is needed before they can say for sure.
Lower Gwynedd Police conducted a sweep of the high school building as a precaution. No students were in the building Tuesday. No classes were being held due to teacher in-service training.
pennsylvania, school, montgomery county, local/state
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Mostly cloudy, humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure 10 min ago
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion
- Victim ID'd in Deptford Township arson 52 min ago
- Housekeeper sentenced for Ben Franklin bust theft
- $1 million Powerball ticket sold in North Wales, Pa. 59 min ago
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Sea Lion Worried About Little Girl
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos