Unions to hold college campus rallies
TRENTON, N.J. - April 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- Union-sponsored rallies are being held at eight college campuses around New Jersey this week.
ALF-CIO President Charles Wowkenech says the action days on Wednesday and Thursday serve as a rallying cry for increased state funding for higher education and fair labor negotiations on campuses.
He says unions representing professors and professional staffs have been asked for so many give-backs by the state that the ability to attract and retain qualified workers is in jeopardy. He says college administrations are blaming decreases in state aid.
The Christie administration didn't respond to email requests for comment.
The Council of New Jersey State College Locals will hold rallies at Rowan, Ramapo, Stockton, William Paterson, Montclair, Kean and New Jersey City University on Wednesday and at The College of New Jersey on Thursday.
new jersey, labor unions, local/state
- 2 dead in police involved shootings
- Showers, thunderstorms today 55 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief 53 min ago
- Jose Canseco accused of sexual assault in Vegas 12 min ago
- Vote on gay Scouts comes at emotional moment 11 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Surveillance released in fatal Camden shooting
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Finding the perfect bra