Parents to stand trial for death of 6-year-old Khalil Wimes
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - April 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- The parents of a Philadelphia boy who was allegedly starved and beaten to death will stand trial on murder charges.
Latiff Hadi and Tina Cuffie were in court for a preliminary hearing on Wednesday. They were previously known as Floyd and Tina Wimes.
Their son, 6-year-old Khalil Wimes, weighed just 30 pounds when he died back in March, approximately half the weight for a child his age.
Police say Khalil's parents drove him to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Hospital staff called 911 when they saw the boy and the condition he was in.
He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Action News later learned that Khalil was removed from his parents care when he was just a week old, but his parents eventually got him back, against the advice of case workers and other family members.
philadelphia, child death, child abuse, south philadelphia, local/state
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing 58 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 1 min ago
- Woman's body found in Berks County 52 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 28 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser